Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Pumpkin Patch Learning Curve

 

This is my second summer of growing pumpkins.  Last year I let pumpkins compost from the previous fall and just transplanted the young plants as they popped up.  And I had more luck than this year!

This year I purchased three packages of seeds -- one was a flat white variety.
And the other two were squatty gray-green varieties.  
This is my ONLY white one.

For a long time the white one was the only one that "set" on the vine.
Now, we are finally getting a few more babies (no white.)
There are quite a few differences from last year, including use of seed.

Last year I planted in a field that used to have livestock,
so maybe the soil was a little better.

(This is my biggest one, I have to lift it with two hands.)
Last year the field had a bit more sun than where I planted this year.

Last year we had more rain than this drought-ridden summer.

Last year the pumpkins plants were surrounded by wildflowers,
this year maybe there weren't enough polinators.

I think the main problem was that I didn't plant early enough.
I planted late May when it was recommended,
I feel like one more month would have been idea.
Probably next year I will plant in this same spot, and one additional area.  
One of these summers I will have a bumper crop in the pumpkin patch!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even get any vines from the package I planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will just get one harvested before frost. i
      wish i could remember what type i planted. I want to harvest the big one before a deer decides to eat it, but can't remember if it will change color or not.

      Delete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...