Thursday, July 25, 2019

Pumpkin Update

 I planted pumpkins.
Last fall I had the bright idea to buy pumpkins in shades that I love,
and after enjoying them just leave them to rot and propagate for spring.

 There were so many things wrong with that plan that I don't even know
where to begin.

 Here is a white mini, I planted many of them and
only 2-3 plants came up.
And so far, this is the only one I have seen setting on the vines.

Back to the issues:
Well, let's begin with the fact that I didn't know what type of pumpkins
they even were when I bought them.
I bought them at the Baker Seed Company headquarters in
Mansfield, MO but I am doubting now if all of the pumpkins
they had on display were ones that they sell the seeds for.

 And to make matters worse --
I didn't have any system for labeling them when I let them rot in the fall.
Even saying "this is the white section" would have helped.
This is the only white larger one I have found,
and it looks like an eggplant.  sigh.

 This guy is interesting.
Is he going to change colors?
Who knows?
I didn't even think about even taking pics of the
pumpkins I had last fall!

 These next two are my faves, and actually there are
quite a few on this vine.

 Kind of a peachy color, and squatty with white lines.
Would be nice to know the variety.

Another problem --
these are all going to be ready too soon.
When you plant pumpkins with seed,
you can wait until the end of May when you are supposed to.
Not alot of demand for pumpkins in August.
Live and learn.

2 comments:

  1. I've never planted pumpkins, unless the pumpkin squash seeds from Wally world are really pumpkins. They were hard as a rock. Almost woody in texture. So, I don't know what in the heck they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live and learn, indeed! Essential for any gardener. Lovely pumpkins, any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...