Friday, November 16, 2018

Stenciling Your Own Vintage Ornaments Tutorial


Last winter I got the notion to stencil on ornaments.  Not just any stencil.  I wanted the vintage ornaments to look like the old-time Shiny Brite stenciled ornaments.

Surely someone has made stencils for that purpose?  And, wouldn't you know?  We can always count on Martha Stewart.  She may have more than the ones I found on-line, but I was just happy to have come across these.  I knew the stencils needed to be small, flexible and have adhesive on the back.  Thank you, Martha.  You knew just what I needed.

I ran out of time last year, so I only recently had a chance to try out these little beauties.  I tried them this first time around on medium shiny brites.  Next time I am going to try larger ornaments.  I used a flat white house paint sample I had on hand, and it worked very well.  As usual with a stencil, load the paint sparingly on the brush and dab off excess on newspaper before lightly dabbing a thin layer of paint inside of the stencil.

While the paint was still wet, I sprinkled it (with stencil still applied) with fine white glitter (again,
to simulate a stenciled shiny brite).  Martha advises to take the stencil off while wet, but I did not read directions until later.  It was fine taking it off after it was dry.  (Martha also wants you to use her special Brush and Stencil Cleaner afterward.  That makes me laugh.  She is so intense.  She also says "Attach backing to stencil and store".  I am surprised she didn't tell us where to store it.)

3 comments:

  1. These are cute.
    Hope you have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. gorgeous weather here. hope you are enjoying the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea--thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...