Saturday, September 1, 2018

Chicken Cabinet Redo For The Bathroom


Our "new" house is short on square footage and storage.  So we have to make the most of every square inch.  Like the space above the toilet.  For some reason our main bathroom has ample blank space in this region, so we started shopping for a vintage (cheap) cabinet that would fit the bill.
We found this blue one at a local antiques store for $40.  It needed the bottom board replaced, but that was no problem since I planned on painting it anyway.

Our bathroom is a light gray, with limestone countertop and shower.  So I painted the whole exterior of the shelf a slightly darker gray that I had in a mistinted gallon.

I decided not to distress the gray, because there were several layers of paint over an oil paint, and they might have all decided to come loose.  (I still have not come across my "handles" stash.)

But it still looked a bit plain....
While unpacking I came across three 1920s Poultry magazines that I had kept to decorate the interior of the chicken coop.  (Yeah, you heard me right.)  But I figured that we would enjoy them more inside the house.  So two of the covers went on the exterior of the doors.  And some of the great magazine articles, ads and illustrations went inside the open shelf.  As usual, I did not have the right decoupage supplies -- so I "glued" and sealed it with clear polyurathane (not ideal).

I painted the interior with white oil paint so that it would clean easily.
And of course I already filled the "display" area with chicken & bird decor....


4 comments:

  1. I really like how it turned out; very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you added the magazine covers. It looks great! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! It's adorable! I need to bring the family up to visit the "cottage" one day soon. Miss you all!❤️ Is there a way to subscribe to your blog without having a blog of my own? -Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...