Friday, September 7, 2018

Grandmother's Quilts

Everything right now revolves around "the move".  Mostly trying to take things from a spacious victorian house and squeeze it into a small cottage.  Things just have to go.  I have collected many quilts and plan on selling off about 9/10 of them.

I am fortunate enough to also own three of my Grandmother's quilts.  

 I decided to give one of them to my niece for her birthday, 
so I took photos of all three of them to help her decide.

It would be interesting to know how many more quilts Grandma made.  I was only two when she passed away, so I don't have any memory of her.  But I think I may have inherited her creative genes.  I don't know of any other ancestor that had a bent toward creativity.  I came across a note written by my mother this week, it said that grandma sewed without patterns.  What?! Have you ever tried to sew with a pattern?

I know that my mother also said that some of her quilt patterns were original as well.  She hand quilted each with with tiny little stitches.  So beautiful.  And they have held up so well.  My mother said that Grandma would have wanted them to be used.  So they graced twin beds in a guest room when I was growing up, and I took the four-point star quilt to college. They have all been washed often and well used, resulting in a buttery soft cotton.  I hope my niece will enjoy hers for decades to come.

4 comments:

  1. I so loved this post. My grandmother hand quilted all her quilts which was amazing since she had horrible arthritis in her fingers. All the pieces were cut into tiny octagons and then hand stitched with tiny stitches. She made many quilts during WW2 when materials were scarce so she used bra material. I would give anything to still have one of her quilts but they are all long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet. Your niece will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom, Aunts and Grandmother were "quilters" too and I doubt that I even have one of their quilts. With seven kids, I am sure they were pretty worn out. If you are selling the second one you posted, (looks like rows of little baskets), I might be interest in it ... or maybe some others that you have to sell.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...