Sunday, September 30, 2018

Washstand Redo & Old Age

I am plowing though my shop, trying to get it ready for my first ever at-home Antiques Sale.
We took possession of the house in March, but didn't move anything into the house until the middle of August.  Over five months of buying antiques and stashing treasures into the shop for future sales.

 I went to a great estate sale in June, bought a vanload of stuff and promptly dropped most of it off at ground zero (the garage aka "shop").  By the middle of August I had pretty much buried/forgotten the stuff on the bottom of the stash.  Which brings us up to now.  I am "rediscovering" so many things that I barely had a chance to register because I handled them such a short amount of time....
and because I am getting older and simply don't have the recall I used to.

What a great surprise to find a gorgeous washstand at "ground zero".  Just when I decided I needed some great furniture pieces for my new antiques booth!  During those 5+ months I really had tried hard NOT to buy furniture.  Too hard to get it from one part of the state to another, and too many other items that needed moved.  But yeah for me...apparently the washstand was just too tempting to pass up.

No major work needed to be done.  Thank you.  VERY dirty though.  So sanding was the best way to remedy this, and the sanding revealed a lovely oak top that I couldn't bear to paint over.  So I sanded the top a bit more, and wiped on an Early American stain.  I finished the top with a light brown briwax.

Three coats of white on the exterior, and two coats of gold on the interior of the cabinet.  A little
distressing. Then I spraypainted the original hardware and voila....

2 comments:

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...