Friday, May 8, 2020

Cornbread Recipe FOR CHICKENS

When I saw how crazy my chickens were about cornbread, I decided to make a recipe just for them.  No sugar / no salt / no white flour / olive oil instead of veg oil / water instead of milk (just to make it cheaper.)


CORNBREAD FOR CHICKENS

2 cups cornmeal
4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs (3 if it is bantam eggs like I use)
1 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In medium bowl mix together cornmeal and baking powder.  Beat eggs with fork before adding them to the bowl.  Mix in water and olive oil.  Pour into 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper or foil.  Bake for 20-25 until done (set or lightly brown).  Cut into 2" squares.  Lift out with foil and FREEZE (I only give them one square a day, and it lasts longer as they eat it if it is still frozen.)

My two year old grandson was feeding this to them the other day.  He started to examine the cornbread and before we knew it he had taken a big bite of it!  He took several more nibbles as he fed the chickens, so apparently he thought it was people-worthy.

1 comment:

  1. We give ours my leftover corn bread. They do love it.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...