Friday, May 15, 2020

Fossils Everywhere You Look


I mentioned in my last post that we have more than our share of rocks on our property,
and many have been put to good uses -- click on that post here.
 Almost every rock on our property has a fossil in it
if you look hard enough.  
We definitely were underwater here
a long time ago.

 So many different types of crustaceans.
There is a limestone plant close by that makes countertops,
and they said the largest fossils they have had are starfish.

 This is a rock attached to our house.
You would have to click on it on see it well.
The fossils wear down from the elements after
they are exposed.

I just found this rock recently,
it has a lot going on.
Most fossils we found are impressions,
but this one has the 3D shapes.

 Another rock used in building our house.

 This large shell left such a clear impression.

This large rock was broken in half during the building
of our guest cottage -- revealing all of it's inner treasures.
Just layers and layers of sea creatures.
They are so crisp because they haven't been exposed to the elements.
Love the cross section of a crinoid.

 If you look closely at this it has (what I think)
is an impression of an aquatic leaf.
Great pattern.

Maybe my favorite because it has all that I mentioned above
going on in one little piece.  
Anyway, the possibility of a great fossil makes me look at every rock
on our property (and that is a bunch.)

1 comment:

  1. ooooooooooh, how fun to find all fossils. I have a collection of them that I have been finding since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...