Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Sliding Door For The Guest House Bunkroom

The bunkroom will be just large enough for two built-in bunks and a little standing room beside the beds..  There is not room for a door to swing in.  And with two other doors opening out to the tiny "hallway", there is not room for another door to swing out either. So we decided on a sliding door, one with history of course.

First I "shopped my shop" where I keep things for resale, no luck.  But after clearing out my outdoor antiques booth, I found this door.  It had been camoflauging the top of a modern plastic folding table in my booth.  I had forgotten that I had it.  I had used it for that same purpose for over 6 years.  Time for it to shine.

First it was a little too narrow.  So my husband made one more "panel" and attached it to one side.  Then I mixed about a 50/50 paint-to-water wash.  I only did one long "panel" at a time so that I could quickly go back over it with a rag and remove any excess paint.  That helps to give it something of a transparent effect. After letting it dry, I went over it lightly with a palm sander.  Then I quickly brushed on a stain and instantly removed it.  That way the bare wood peaking through has some character.

The "smooth" side will face the hallway area.  The side with horizontal bars will face the inside of the bunkroom.  I think both sides look interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I love sliding doors. I bet this is going to look so cool in the bunk house.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...