Monday, May 18, 2020

Of Iris, Alpacas, Circus Ponies & Ostrich Ferns

It started out as your normal quarantine Sunday morning.
(Which is to say, not going to church.)
Just wandering around the yard.
Not enough important stuff to occupy the gray cells.


This is iris season.  
We have a gazillion irises planted around the birdbath.
Perfect location.
ONE stinking bloom.
A little one at that.

I mention to my husband that NEXT year we should tear out all of these non-blooming, common-looking piddly iris and replace them with iris from our favorite iris growers (pic above from their iris farm.)

Well, that is all it took.  Like lighting a match to tinder.  We are in the van and on the way to Dopey's Hillside Gardens before you can say Corona Virus.


By the way.  That is not their official business name. Yet. I suggested it, and they are considering it.  Another BTW.... Dopey is their rooster's name.

These lovely alpaca that we pass on the way to Dopey's are just a bonus.  And did I mention we also pass circus ponies grazing in a field? I am not making up the circus part -- these are arrogant, gorgeous little creatures that relax at a spacious country home when they aren't working under a big top.

So we buy a boatload of iris.
(Disclaimer: the above pic is from our trip to Dopey's two years ago.)
I leave my husband to the ripping out of the non-productive iris and installing the new iris.  
Both of us were very pleased with the results.

But what to do with the discarded, non-producing iris?
(See the ONE bloom on the right?)

Plant it next to a concrete wall where we need leafage (is that a word?) and blooming is optional.

It has good company next to the ostrich ferns that we bought on Saturday off of 
facebook marketplace.

4 comments:

  1. I have had the same problem but it seems it is more often how the iris are planted more than the iris themselves. The rhizomes like to be on top of the ground and not mulched. Thought I had it fixed but I only had one plant that bloomed this year. Whoops, forgot and mulched last year. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a neat iris place near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is only about 20 minutes from us, and they only charge $3 per plant. we went to an iris farm before that charged anywhere from $7-$20 per plant. It is fun just to go and look around when the iris are blooming

      Delete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...