Thursday, March 14, 2019

Spring Bunting Bonanza & No-Sew Tutorial

My antique mall is having a Spring Open House this weekend. Last night (at the last minute) I thought I should make a spring-themed bunting (banner - garland - whatever) to hang in my outdoor booth.  But I didn't want to sew or spend any money on it (talk about limiting).

I got rid of so much of my "stash" when we moved, so I had a hard time finding any springy fabric.  But after much searching found a small piece of barkcloth type fabric which I feverishly cut into triangles at 11 pm last night.  I spent sleepless hours planning how to make a sturdy, weather-resistant and cute spring bunting with them.

Epiphany #1. They must be ironed (time consuming and torturous), and must be stiff.  So I found out from Martha Stewart how to make your own starch.  One cup cold water and two tablespoons corn starch mixed thoroughly in a spray bottle.  Spray it lightly on triangles before ironing.  Martha warns that the starch can attract bugs and mold. Nice.  Well, I'm not leaving it up forever.

Epiphany #2.  They must be double sided.  (Be able to be viewed from both sides.) This immediately cut my length in half.  And meant I needed to glue two triangles together. After considering hot glue and fabric paint, I ended up using elmers glue for this. Trim overhanging edges.

Epiphany #3.  I actually would have to purchase something.  The rope.  Jute I had on hand was just  not thick enough.  I bought 100 yards of laundry line from Dollar Store for $3.50.  I only used half.

Epiphany #4.  Attaching the triangles to the rope would have to be sturdy + cute.  That is a tough one.  We had steady 40 mph winds last week.  My outdoor booth is under a roof, but still gets blown around.  I did a double assault.  I poked a sharp knife through the triangles on either edge of the short end (not too close to the edge).  Then I was able to attach the triangles to the rope with torn strips of muslin.  In the center of this on one side I did a big old obnoxious safety pin which went though both triangles and the rope.  These are not budging.

Postscript:  I found enough supplies for indoor spring buntings.  So, for eight hours today I worked like a wild woman on the above bunting, AND THREE MORE.  The house was in chaos by the time I came up for air.  I am exhausted.  I'll show you how they turned out later.

2 comments:

  1. lol...our projects rule our time! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you know from your mosaics and other projects -- when you get in the "zone" it is hard to stop

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...