Monday, April 29, 2019

Antique English Elkington Silverplate Table Lamp

Back to yesterday's flea market finds...
Do you see the lamp in the back of the van?

My husband found it, so I am giving him credit.
Even when I looked at it I was a little unsure.
The seller wanted $25 for it (and I am SO cheap).
But the hallmark stamps sucked me in.
It took me a couple of hours on the net to find
out that it was made by a silverplate company in England
named Elkington.  Probably late 1800s.  
(The "C" tells the exact date, but honestly I was too tired by then to research further.)

I also loved the scrolly initials on the three sides
of the base.  Can't you just imagine someone in 1885
ordering this as a fancy wedding gift for someone in "the states"?

 It has three gorgeous griffons on the base.
I am not going to polish it
(because I am not  the polishing type)
but I know it would look great all shined up.

It has a secret.
Of course it didn't start out as a table lamp
(no electricity then.)
It started life as big 20+ inches
"centerpiece" that held a big fancy bowl on the top.
What a gorge wedding gift that would have been.
Going on ebay.
Bought for $25, sold for $78.

2 comments:

  1. Nice lamp. I really love the green chair too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a soft spot for those old lawn chairs. This one I will sell, but I own about 9 keepers.

      Delete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...