Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Selling My Native American "Collection"

You know how you are drawn to some things, but they never really come your way?  I am drawn to native American items.  Baskets, beaded items, pots, jewelry.  Basically handmade native American items.  I have been collecting for three decades.  And I have two such items.  Pitiful.

We are trying to thin out some of our personal collections as we think about moving.  Painful.  I cleaned our massive bookshelf lately.  In addition to books (many cool ones) it showcases Ozark Pottery, white matte pottery, antique coffee related items, and porcelain doll heads.  Oh, and my little basket and pot.  Not enough of a collection to make the cut.

I picked up the little pot from a garage sale many years ago.  It was made by a member of the
Acoma pueblo in New Mexico. Sold on ebay for $21.

As for the basket, I remember vividly where I got it.  We have a nun retirement home in our community.  I am sure there is a better way to say that, but there it is.  They used to have a FANTASTIC fundraiser sale every year.  I was browsing at one of those annual sales when a cute little nun shuffled out and told the lady in charge she wanted to donate this basket.  I scurried right over and said I was interested.  I don't recall what I paid for it, but not much.

Years later we went to one of the Antiques Road Show locations, and took the basket.  This was the information I received on it: It was made by the Klikitat tribe in the state of Washington.
Sold on ebay for $145.

3 comments:

  1. the thought of having to thin out or get ready to move would be staggering to me. good luck selling your things. They are neat. You are right. some collections start and then we get over trying to collect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by Native American artifacts and so enjoyed seeing yours--the clay pot is just wonderful. I've bought and sold a few NA baskets, but never any pots. Thanks for sharing them with us at Vintage Charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ex husband and I always said, "bury me over the septice tank." I NEVER want to move again. At 65, I won't have to for a while, God willing. My daughter is in the process of buying a house with an apartment in the basement! I was just joking when I asked if it had a "Mother-in-law" apartment! She's already got a friend lined up to rent it! As I thin out my mother's things, I am taking pictures, then letting go of them....I can't (and don't want to) keep it all. Eventually, I will scrapbook these pictures so we'll all have the memory!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...