Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Dollar Tree Styrofoam Pumpkin Upcycle 2019

It all started a few weeks ago,
when I bought a thick cable cardigan at a garage sale for 25 cents.
Yes, I bought it because I liked it -- but I don't normally wear thick sweaters,
and to be honest it was a bit small.  But I immediately saw the potential for some
sweet sweater pumpkins.  I went out and bought 8 styrofoam pumpkins and two bunches 
of tan flowers from Dollar Tree = $10.
 
 The more I looked at the sweater, the more I thought I
had better research it.  Turns out I might be able to get
$25 for it on ebay.  Best to not hack it into bits after all.
But I did find a flour sack in my stash that would cover
four of the pumpkins ....

 and a lacy ivory jacket in my "donate" pile that I could
cut up for the other four.  I am still a little disappointed to not
be looking at pumpkins dressed out in cozy cable knit....

I have decked out these little pumpkins in many different styles over the years.
The price is great, and they are easy to whack a hole in the top
in order to stuff  excess fabric in.  This year I used some
old wooden pieces for the stems.
Views of some past DT pumpkins: 2014, 2015, 2016.

2 comments:

  1. I like them.
    Maybe you'll find a damaged sweater that you can cut up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you would love the cable sweater -- big horse head on the back and two small horse heads on the front. probably from the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...