Monday, September 25, 2017

Actually Using Vintage Wallpaper

A quick disclaimer -- I am using vintage wallpaper in this post, but not on walls.

I have had this roll of vintage wallpaper for over a year -- waiting to list it on ebay.  

Then I pulled out this teatray project.  The center of the teatray had rotted out, so I had to replace the bottom with some fiberboardish stuff that I had.  And wanted it to look vintage.  So I thought of the wallpaper.  I glued it directly to the fiberboard.  The glue kind of bled through and I thought I had ruined it, but when it dried it was perfect!  (I did lay a bunch of books on it to keep it from wrinkling).

I put the fiberboard inside the teatray frame.  Nice, but what if someone actually (gasp) uses said tea tray for tea? (Yes, I could have had a glass piece cut for it, but did not want to mess with it.)  I took another chance and brushed a poly over the whole thing.  It had just enough color to turn the project a little gold, and I LOVED it. If I had been super serious about waterproofing, I may have added another coat or two.

Next day I bought this little old cabinet.  Great little antique piece for $17. 

 Nasty looking shelves inside that someone had GLUED horrible paper to.
  I needed a quick fix.
Vintage wallpaper to the rescue!

 Same technique. Glue with book weights, followed by brushing on a coat of poly.  
At this rate there may not be any wallpaper left to list on ebay.

Linking up with:
Vintage Charm Party at My Thrift Store Addiction 

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered about using wallpaper like that. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to use the vintage wallpaper! Thanks for sharing @ Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inventive. I especially like the tea tray save!

    ReplyDelete