Friday, October 16, 2020

First Frost, Pumpkin Washout, and Ode To Cherry Tomatoes

First frost last night.  Sigh. These were my brave nasturtiums, which flourished despite 6 weeks without rain.  I see their cheerful faces straight out of my kitchen window.  This is the second summer I planted them there, and will probably grow them again next spring.

I also harvested my ONE pumpkin.
I planted too late, and couldn't haul enough water for the drought.
And I forgot what kind I planted.
I don't think the final product is supposed to be dark green.

Plus an armadillo took a taste.
(Maybe wasn't an armadillo, but we blame everything on armadillos.)
Better luck next year.

The frost also took my cherry tomato plants.
These were volunteer plants from ones that I planted last year --
but those DID NOT thrive.  These were SUPER HERO tomatoes.
They took the drought.  They took the chickens (who learned how to 
wait for the ripe orange color, and then would leap up and pick them).
They took the two year old who came and picked to his hearts desire.

I did pick any last night that were starting to turn.
But now I wish I would have read up on whether I should
 have picked the green ones.
The vines were not "dying back" after summer, 
without a frost I think that they would have kept producing for weeks.

The cherry tomatoes were a literal bright spot in 2020.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to throw something over ours if it is only a light frost. They are getting a second wind and I want to drag out having some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it by emailing Dr Emu through emutemple@gmail.com and that was where I got the help to restore my marriage. WhatsApp +2347012841542
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...