Sunday, July 29, 2018

Easy Tips To Determine Desirability of Vintage Levi's 501 Jeans


One of the "bonus" items (something in my "lot" that was not in auction pic or description)
 I received from the local on-line
auction that I picked up last Thursday was a vintage pair of Levi's.
They were very dirty, smelly but washed up well.  And I knew from
a little prior experience that they could be good.

 There are a ton of things to look for when establishing the 
value / age of a pair of vintage levi's.  First is the little red tag.
If it has a capital E, you are on the right track.
If the word LEVI'S is only on one side of the tag
(like mine) then you are doing even better.

 There is a window of time where there is a "diamond"
stitched on the bottom of the arcuate (wing stitch on pocket).
Check!  But the other back pocket of my jeans it is too worn to see it.

 Selvedge inside watch pocket. 😖
Not on mine, so I am a little confused.
Width of watch pocket,
and sometimes COLOR of watch pocket is a factor as well.
 Selvedge on seam instead of stitching.  Check.

 Concealed rivets.  Check.

 Centered back belt loop.
It would be better if it were a little to the left.
And it would be great if they had a leather Levi's patch.
And it would be fantastic if there was a cinch.
But then I'd probably be selling these to a museum.
Instead I'll be listing them on ebay,
I hope they will turn out to surprise me twice in a row.

Update:  The jeans sold for $689!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! Neat to know those things about Levi's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are already up to $237, it will be helpful in this "cash poor" season of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Who woulda thunk it? Once I came home with a pair of Levis. My daughter, then a teenager, said, "Mom do you know you are cool?" I think they were 501s (like who cares?). They fit MY criteria: 1) my size; 2) stonewashed black, a color I liked; 3) good knees; and 4) my price--$1 at the school yard sale! $237 is probably my clothing budget for the year!!! Good luck with the bids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips on the Levis. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for tips WOW $689 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!good deal

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...