Friday, July 6, 2018

Local Folk Artist From The 1940s

I participated in an on-line auction a few weeks ago,
(see post here on my auctions wins).

 One of the things that I bid on, but did not win was this "altar".
The photos from this on-line auction service are always bad, but I could tell it had
some age on it, and that someone was very creative.  Not only do the
local on-line auctions have rotten pics, but their description was just "altar".
Nevertheless, I was very drawn to it .... and bid a whole $8 just to "bookmark" it.
But when I found out my grandchild was going to be induced on the "pick up"
date, I let the bid slide and someone bought it for just $12!
Well, it could not be helped.

One of the items I did win was this tiered shelf, made by the same artist.
AND I had a magazine from the 1940s with a page about the local
woodcarver artist.  Self taught, mostly made everything with a pocketknife.
The most interesting tidbit: it had a photo of the altar in the article!
It talked about how many hours it took him to carve the altar.
By this time I was sad I had not bid more, but life goes on......

Until I am talking to a friend of mine about the altar.
He asked the name of the guy, and I actually remembered.
He already owned several pieces of folk art  done by this gentlemen,
and was very interested in hearing more about the altar.
Then I showed him the 1940s magazine article...
besides showing the altar, it had a photo of the artist working on a 3D picture.
And this friend OWNED the carved picture!
So, I sold him the magazine and gave him enough info about the
on-line auction to get him started in tracking the altar down.
Happy Ending  -- this last pic is of the altar tucked safely in his basement,
awaiting a few minor repairs (with the magazine sitting on top).

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Glad your friend was able to get the altar.
    Cannot imagine the time and creativity it took to make it

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i could remember the number of hours the article said it took to carve the altar. My friend is going to keep it, and I would have probably sold it -- so it is a happy ending

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--that altar is truly beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...