Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Scary Table Redo Just In Time For Halloween

I bought this little white table on a local on-line auction a few months ago.  In fact, it was this table that my vintage pair of Levi's was sitting on -- that went on to sell for $689  (click here to read that post).  So the $24 I paid for this pale old girl was well worth the cost.

It went right from that auction to our chicken coop, and it has sat in the chicken shed until just a few days ago.  I want to take it to my new antique booth this weekend, but remembered it needed a little work.  Someone had hammered a thin piece of plywood on the top to cover _____.
I was scared to find out what was in the blank.  (What I should have been worried about was at the bottom and not the top!)

What I found under the plywood was the super chippy brown paint in the first photo. The oak boards were a bit uneven too, but I specialize in primitive furniture so that goes with the territory.  I vacuumed the loose bits and painted a thin layer flat white over the top.  When that was dry, I painted a thin layer of satin buff color (it matched the old paint on the legs and apron very well).  Then sanding to allow some of the old brown paint and newer white paint to peek through.  During the sanding some more of the brown chippy parts came off -- which actually helped the top blend in with the legs.  Easy, cheesy.  Call it a day.  Simply tip the table over so I can clean the legs, and then ..... EEK!.

Inside the bottom of one of the legs was an infestation of ghostly white termites.  SO GROSS.
(You can thank me for not taking a photo of that!) I put a five gallon bucket under the offending leg to catch any deserters.  My husband fetched the reciprocating saw and I hacked the crawly foot off.  Of course, I had to saw off the three innocent feet as well.  But the amputation was successful.  (Don't worry, I will purge the chicken coop before we actually get any chickens.) We will be packing up the patient and putting her in my new booth Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. The table turned out great. $700 for a pair of jeans. I need to look at that post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...