Saturday, June 15, 2019

Succulent Acres


 I was a little sad last year when we moved,
to leave behind my "succulent nursery".
The area where I carefully cultivated my succulents
that I used in my vintage pots that I sold.
Surely it would take years to establish such a
prolific succulent nursery again....

 This is my stone birdbath (doesn't hold water) that
I didn't even plant last year.  This year I just put one puny
impatient in the center surrounded by a variety of succulents.
They have all taken off, and if they survive the winter --
I will transplant them to an area all their own.
Hang on sweet little babies!

This is the area outside our mudroom door that I worked on last spring,
(while I was supposed to be working on the inside of the house.)
The bright green succulents on the bottom I had purchased
on clearance the fall BEFORE that and sat in their little pots
over the winter (somehow survived) and were one of the first things
I planted last spring (that is, a little over a year ago).
 
 
Here is the same area April 2018.
(Better camera now!)

They have spread and flourished.

 By next spring I will definitely be able to
steal bits of them for my vintage pots.

And this is my new baby nursery.
On the south wall of my shop.
Where they can bathe in full sun all day.
They have done so well, that by next year it will
probably just be a hen & chicks nursery and I will
find a larger plot for the rest of the succulents.
After all, I have five acres now.....
I could just keep going and going.....

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy succulents as well. So easy to grow. Some have pretty impressive flowers to be so small. I, too, found some beauties on clearance. A big flat of different kinds. I have them all around the front yard, even in the shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them. they do so great in my vintage planters because of their heat and drought tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love succulents, but they don't ever live very long for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe your soil or climate is different than ours. i think our succulents will outlive us. and it is not because of the care they receive, ha

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...