Saturday, August 30, 2014

Vintage Hair Tonic Bottles Altered Into Halloween Apothecary Jars

My husband snagged about 16 hair tonic bottles from a flea market on 8.16.14.  Only six had their original labels  and stoppers.  The other ten had a great shape, but really no value.  Just in time for Halloween.  Last year I altered about 100 bottles, so I thought ten should be a snap.  The only thing...some of them were discolored on the inside.  So, what about my go-to flat black spraypaint?

 
Last year I used free printable apothecary labels off the internet.  It was kind of a pain cutting and attaching. 

I found corks and some great adhesive backed apothecary labels at Michael's.  The labels were transparent, so the flat black paint wouldn't work. 

I tried spraypaint that makes glass look frosted.  Better...

Maybe some gray spraypaint over top.  Nice, but kind of flat color.  How about a light spray of flat black paint on three sides to age them up a bit.  Bingo.


I really like the final result.

1 comment:

  1. I loved looking at your bottles. I have been making some for my daughter who loves to decorate for Halloween; you gave me some good ideas. thanx!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...