Thursday, April 5, 2018

Making Flower Containers That Survive Snow


 I don't normally do container gardening.
But since we are moving this summer, container
gardening gives us a chance to take flowers with us
(and save a little cash.)

 Since I can't afford (or carry) big ceramic planters,
I collected a bunch of cheapo plastic ones at auctions.
I tried textured Rustoleum spraypaint to spiff them up.
I found if you spray a solid matte base color on the
containers first (close to the color of the textured spraypaint), 
the textured spraypaint works much better.
Make sure you hit the top interior.

 I did three of these container pots for our open house on Sunday.

 Problem #1:
Snow forecast.
So I only purchased kale,
pansies and dianthus.

Problem #2:
The soil was rock solid frozen in these three
containers in front of the house.
So I just set the leftover plants in them.
(Easier to cover if I need to.)
They will have to wait their turn until after the open house.

2 comments:

  1. Good idea. I love that old metal tub. Really neat.
    Good luck on selling your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how many flower pots I've spray painted over the years. They say great minds think alike ;) Thanks for sharing your weatherproof pots at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...