Sunday, March 15, 2020

How I Plan To Survive The Corona Virus Crazies


I normally ignore what is going on in the world in my blog.  At first the blog was antiques only. Then I added gardening.  Then refurbishing our new house.  Now building our guest house.  I am off topic enough that I feel like I can address the corona virus.  And when I mean to survive -- no, I don't mean physically.  I mean mentally.

My grandson and I were at Target in Branson, MO last Thursday.  We went for recreational purposes because it was too cold to play outside.  Craziness ensued.  Empty shelves.  No toilet paper.  A day after this people got into a fist fight at the Branson Walmart over toilet paper.  I was stupefied.  I walked out of Target that day with a box of Fig Newtons.  No doubt people were wondering what survival article I had read that recommended hoarding Fig Newtons.

So I called my sister, who is smarter about some things than I am.  She said that in the last week when she bought "staples" she bought two instead of one.  And to make sure we had adequate pet supplies.  And medications.  And cash.  Apparently I was way behind on self-educating on what is needed during a pandemic.  We went to Walmart that night (we had to park on the perimeter) and bought the last two bags of cat litter.  I guess every one else was much more astute about what to purchase at such a time as this.

My husband works for a University.  He definitely has this week off for spring break.  Maybe next week for Corona Break.  And who knows how much time after that.  We will have to survive each other.  Think of "The Shining".

 I plan on continuing to go to the grocery store, library, our church and the hardware store -- just taking precautions. (Church and library closed for a couple months after this.) Careful, not fearful. We do like to go out to eat, and I probably won't be doing that.  But I understand that there is going to be more "isolation" than I have ever experienced.  And this is how I plan to survive the quarantine crazies:

-- it is rainier and colder than it should be for this time of year.  But as soon as it warms up a bit I have many outdoor projects to do.  My husband is currently picking up a small goldfish pond to put out in front of our house by our berm.  (While we had talked "fountain", our previous discussions never included the  words "pond" and "goldfish" and certainly not "water lilies".) All can be attributed to the corona crazies. But at least he is staying busy.

-- I have to decide whether or not to keep my antique booth.  I would have to give notice April 1,
and be out by the end of April.  Last spring / summer the antique business took a huge hit because of local flooding. At this point I think I would rather not weather another summer like that.  And let's face it -- even if there is no more threat of the virus, there will be serious economic repercussions.
I can always sell at a home market, and have no overhead. Or commission. Or travel expense.

-- I am creating a succulent nursery.  More on this later, but it should keep me busy (after the weather warms up).

-- I am in  the process of thinning out perennials which are already overrunning areas in my borders.
I am potting the extra up, to either use at the guest house or sell at a Home Sale.  That is what the spoons are for.  After dipping them n chalk paint and letting them dry, I can write prices on the round part with permanent marker.

-- I am cooking.  Sure, I have always cooked.  But a few weeks ago we started eating healthier.  I told my husband that it is not a diet, that makes it sound temporary.  This is a permanent lifestyle change.  Argh.  So hard.  Maybe I will do a blog on this later. I caught a network TV show with chef Jamie Oliver.  Five ingredient cooking, quick and easy.  He emphasizes fresh, healthy ingredients.  Well, if you only have five ingredients to worry about then , why not?  I got the hardback cookbook that goes with the show on ebay for $8 (free shipping)!  So I am going to work my way through the cookbook (no, not page by page -- but the recipes that appeal to me).  It helps make healthy eating somewhat adventurous.  And healthy eating might be hard if we are stuck at home for a few weeks.

-- with humor.  A local donut shop offered a free roll of toilet paper with the purchase of a dozen donuts.  I bribed my son into coming to help with a chicken enclosure (another of my husband's projects, to keep him from the crazies) by offering him toilet paper in exchange for a day of work.

-- lastly, I will have much to keep me busy once the guest house starts moving along.  They are at a prolonged standstill (that is not helping us with the crazies) waiting for windows and for the weather to dry up.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe the craziness that is happening. We just went to town to get cokes for the hubby. Our pantry and freezers are stocked. So, we didn't need food. The store had several bare spots. But, still had a lot of food. Probably because they are higher priced than Walmart, Dollar General and Family Dollar.

    But, if this gets worse or we end up in quarantine, they will run out of everything.

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am most concerned about small businesses that can't afford to be closed for weeks. I am definitely going to try to keep giving them business during this time, if they can just stay open.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...