Friday, April 10, 2020

My ONE and ONLY Library Book during Quarantine

You remember libraries right?  Brick buildings full of books, magazines, audiobooks, friendly faces?  We were fortunate enough to visit ours the day before life came screeching to a halt.  We didn't know it was our last chance for weeks / months to check out material.  So I checked out ONE actual book and five audio books.  Those are the ones I am stuck with for the duration....

First the fiction audiobooks.  I gave all five a passing chance, but only one seemed worth listening to the entirety. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  I admit I am a picky audiobook listener -- it has to be well written, and have a good reader, not too sleazy, not too predictable, not too sad, not too serious, no vampires, no zombies, no fantasy, sci-fi or magic.  (Second thought -- maybe I'm really not that particular). I may have to go back and give the other audio books a second chance.  Maybe a third chance for the really bad ones, depending on how long this lasts.

My ONE actual book?  "Rhapsody In Green" by Charlotte Mendelson -- non-fiction about a writer and her small vegetable garden.  If I was forced to only check out one book for two months, this would have been it.  I ended up with a winner by accident, and I love it.

She and I have some opposing thoughts.  She is all about growing edibles, and I am almost strictly flowers.  She loves starting with seeds indoors, and I try to avoid seeds altogether.   Still, she has many of the same gardening thoughts that I do. And is able to express those thoughts in a fun and entertaining way.  Each chapter is only 3-4 pages, so I can make it through a whole chapter without falling asleep.  She is pleasant and upbeat -- the book always leaves me smiling. I have finished the book and now am starting to read it for the second time.  I wonder how many times I will have read it by the time the library reopens.

"If you can find the perfect armchair garden-reading, it will soothe you better than almost anything."
-- Charlotte Mendelson

1 comment:

  1. I've never listened to an audio book.

    I only read certain sy fy authors.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...