Monday, April 13, 2020

Rusty Junk From The Old Barn Site


The past few days I have been working at clearing melted glass and metal from an old barn sight on our property.  The barn burned in 2000. I would have loved to have seen it.  All that is left now is a crumbling stone foundation.  And melted rubble.  Mostly glass.  And a bunch of it.  I have been staring at it for two years wondering how we were going to get rid of it.  To simplify a complicated explanation -- we can't put it in our trash can.

(Hand forged hinge.)
When our contractor said he was going to refill the dirt around the foundation of the guest cottage sometime this week, a thought occurred to me.  It is very close to the old barn site.

I could just toss in the broken glass right next to the foundation before it was back filled  with dirt (mostly rock).   The mess of glass and metal will rest securely about two feet underground and not pose a danger to anyone.

(Do you see a potential candlestick here?)
The plan sounded so easy...rake up chunks of glass and metal bits into a dustpan and throw it in the trough next to the foundation.  Repeat. I worked at it about four hours the first day.  My body let me know that night that I could not keep up the pace.  So I have been working at it about two hours a day since.

This Victorian hinge and the doorknob help make a case that
there was a house on the property before our 1933 house was built.

The broken horse bit probably is civil war era.

All of the rusty license plates on my shop door
came from this site.  I found about 10 more this week,
but all in worse condition than these.

And my prize find.  
A super old license plate that went on the chicken coop door.

2 comments:

  1. cool finds. we love old rusty metal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it made the digging interesting. most of it is going to our trash man, who does scrapping. I actually have a couple more days of it ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Hearts & The End Of My Blog

Early on during the corona virus, I did this project. When we put scalloped wood trim on the guest cottage door, we had some of the trim ...